Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Golf Journal: Valley-Hi

Now that we are back into Spring, almost, I'm looking to get my golf journal going again! I went out today, for the first time this year, thanks to the fact that I'm currently on spring break.

I was very uncertain about how things would go, first time playing since about August, but was also kind of excited. I was getting to try out my brand new set of golf clubs that my wife allowed me to buy myself for Christmas. I got a set of Taylor Made Burner irons, and added a 3 wood burner to my collection, so I'm completely burnered up!

At first, I wasn't too happy with things because of the driving range. This particular course has mats set out to hit off of right now, and I HATE hitting on mats. They don't give you really accurate feedback on how you're hitting the ball, unless you absolutely catch it clean. My swing still felt a bit rusty, but after the about 30 minutes of hitting off of the mat, I felt okay about things. Still unsure, because it was a mat, but good enough to give a round a go.

I had been kicked out of the apartment by my wife while she cleaned so I had all the time I wanted to burn, essentially. So I went and signed up for 18 holes and got out. I was joined by a couple other gentleman, and I'm glad I was. They were very fun, laid back, and I really enjoyed the front 9 we all played.

Front 9 started off a bit rough, topped my first tee shot, which happens when it's your first time out for the season, but managed to have an okay next couple of shots. Ended the first hole, a par 5, with a 7. Meh, but I'll take it for now.

As the front 9 kept going, I got into a pretty good rhythm, and I was LOVING the way my new irons were striking the ball. I hit about 3 regulation greens in a row, which NEVER happens, and ended up with a couple good pars on the front 9. Ended with a 44 going out.

Then started the back 9. Something crazy happened to me on the back 9, I was playing really well. First 2 holes were both four pars and I scored a 5 on both of them. On the 12th hole, the shortest hole on the course, I absolutely destroyed my drive and put it to about 65 yards from the green. I've seen this book before, great tee shot, now I have a really short approach which I will no doubt duff off to the right and start swearing for a bit. Nope, caught it clean, with my new approach wedge (Taylor Made, did I mention that?) and landed it about five feet from the cup. Naturally, now I would do my usual 3 putt from 5 feet, right? No. Center of the cup, and a birdie. I'm usually good for a couple birdies every few rounds or so, but on my first time out? Pumped my fist, pulled the ball out, and quickly wrote down my 3 on my score card.

Moving forward, I expected to fold like a cheap suit, because that's what I do. NOPE. Holes 13 - 17 I parred all the way. Making a few pretty solid up and downs along the way. 17 was a short of short par 5 with a water hazard right in front of the green. I was feeling very peckish after a really good drive, and pulled out my 5 wood. I wasn't terribly concerned with hitting the green, just wanted to try and muscle it over the water, which I did! The stars were aligning, or something, because everything was going right.

18 had just an evil green. I was on in 2, and had a downhill putt from about 15 feet. I gave it a pretty gentle stroke and it went by the hole about 25 feet. 2 putted back for a 5 to close out my round. A back 9 38. That's right, 38 on 9 holes of golf. That is something that I have NEVER done. Gave me a grand total of 82 for the round. I was stunned! 82 is my all-time low round. Allow me to say it again, I LOVE my new golf clubs.

There were a couple negatives on the day. First, the driving range mats. Second, I couldn't find my sunhat before I went, so my neck is now totally red (curse you Irish skin!). Third, I lost a few balls along the way, only one into a hazard, but the others because this course was so poorly maintained that the majority of the course was dead grass. As many of you are aware, sometimes when you hit the ball into large areas of dead grass, and don't see EXACTLY where it landed, it is like searching for a needle in a hay stack trying to find your ball. I don't count myself for penalties on that, just drop another one by where I figure it went out, and go from there. Last, first time out, and I walked 18 the whole way. My legs are still yelling for this. Oh, well, I'm joining a roller hockey league that starts in like two weeks, they'll just have to get used to the abuse.

If any of you are avid golfers, and you're in the market for a new set of clubs, get yourself some burners. Those things are amazing. I've never hit so many clean shots before. I'm totally sold on the Taylor Made brand. If they let me do commercials, I would. I have never driven a ball farther or straighter, I've never hit so many greens in regulation. I've never played golf this well, until I got some Taylor Made Burners. Everything I get, from now on, will be Taylor Made, and I will continue to sing their praises.

Thanks for reading. Tell me some of your low golf scores so we can all compare!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on an excellent game. I'v been out to the range 3 times and only one of the times was not windy and chilly, so if the weather will cooperate I will go back out.

    ReplyDelete