Monday, April 4, 2011

Golf Journal: Cheyenne Shadows

I'm pretty amazed that I have already managed to get out on the golf course twice in the spring. This one I have to thank my neighbor, Bobby, for inviting me to. He is stationed at Fort Carson and some of his buddies were getting together for a round, and they needed a fourth, he kindly asked me to come along.

First off, again, this course was much like Valley-Hi, in that it was suffering from a cold, but very dry winter. A lot of dead grass, and even just dirt in the fairways. Nonetheless, quite a course to behold. It's very picturesque, and also a very challenging course. Not one that you want to walk 18 holes on, as there are a lot of hills.

All in all, a good round. Not quite as solid as my previous 82, but I had some decent moments. I scored par on 2 of my first 3 holes. I drove the ball well, chipped okay, putted pretty decently with only a could of 3 putts. I had trouble with my irons today.

As I had mentioned before, I have a new set of burner irons that I love. I wasn't as consistent with them this time out, for the majority of the round, but found a decent hold of them before the end.

The shot of the day came on the fifth hole. It is a 153 yard par 3 that plays about 40 feet straight down hill. So it's more like a 120 yard hole. Plus, we had a strong wind at our backs. I pulled out my 9 iron and got under one pretty well. Wind took it, but it was drifting a wee bit to the right. It looked as if it was going to land straight in the bunker, but then the most amazing thing happened. The ball landed right outside the bunker, was about to jump to the right, then hit the rake dead on and ricocheted right back. It rolled to about 10 ft of the cup. All four of us could not believe what we had just seen. Sadly I don't have a video of the event to prove it, but I do have 3 good eye witnesses. One of them even called home to tell somebody what they just saw. Sadly, I missed my birdie putt. Had a good roll on it, just sorta rolled over the edge of the cup and off. Nailed a par though.

Again, not as awesome as my 82, but it was still a solid 93. A pretty challenging course that I'd never played before, I'll take it. I still have to enter these rounds into my "handicap tracker" to see what it does for me, but I think that I'll be much lower than I was last year, which is a good thing.

Hoping to get out again here in the next couple of weeks, especially once my play is done. Here's hoping for more good golf!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you and Sean love to play golf. :) I'm sure you will have fun playing golf here in San Diego in October! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day today. I had news exact search from you site. I really impress to read that article. I openly I said your site will go in peak.

    ReplyDelete