Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Free Agents and Drafts for the Broncos

Well, I was planning on writing a little something a bit earlier on this, but then the Broncos went out and kept making moves that changed things for me. So, here's my take on things for the Broncos.

Firstly, some of my students were asking me what I thought the Broncos should do in the draft. I thought, for not very long, and decided that I thought they needed the largest, strongest, ugliest NT available in the draft to drop right in the middle of that 3-4 defense. Then, the Broncos went out and signed Jamal Williams. Okay, fine, so they fixed that up. So we don't need to get one of those anymore.

Secondly, I think everybody is in agreement that Kyle Orton is not really going to be a long term solution for anybody. So I'm hearing lots of talk about the Broncos going to Colt McCoy, so I'm reading up on it and trying to figure out all the dish on McCoy. Then the Broncos go and trade for Brady Quinn, and barely give up anything. Peyton Hillis, who really didn't contribute (and wasn't really given a chance to contribute) to the team last year, a 6th round draft pick in 2011, and a conditional 2012 draft pick. I mean, scraps. Okay, Brady Quinn may not be better than he was in Cleveland, but you have to give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt considering that he was in Cleveland for crying out loud. Nothing was going right there for anybody. So I'm willing to give him a bit of a chance.

So what do we need now? Well, the defense still needs improvement. Okay, most people seem to believe that the Broncos are going to go with Rolando McClain, Alabama's very talented ILB, which would make sense in solidifying our 3-4 defense. But we are also going to need a top level WR to replace Brandon Marshall, since he is pretty much all but gone. Even if no team picks him up, I don't see him suiting up for the Broncos again, given all of the clashes that he had with McD. I think he'd rather sit out than play for McD again. But we'll see. So possibly the Broncos will go for Dez Bryant from Oklahoma St. A Marshall size WR that can hopefully do the same sorts of things without all of the drama.

Good work by the Broncos in the free agency pool. Have addressed a lot of their needs. If they can find a decent LB in the time leading up to the draft, they may do even better, and then we can focus on getting a strong WR in the draft, or vice versa. They do still need a lot more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment