Friday, April 9, 2010

Long Wait, but now Some Takes

Man, it has been quite a long time since I've written anything, and a lot has happened! So I'm going to give my take on what I see as some of the biggest things that have happened this sporting season!!

First, Tiger. I wrote an earlier post about Tiger Woods praising his character. For not acting like a diva when a kid hit a better ceremonial drive off the tee than he did. Then, all of this stuff happened and we learned that the squeaky clean Tiger Woods has some blemishes. First off, his wife is freaking hot! Can we honestly think that any of the women that Tiger was messing around with had it going on more than her? Seriously. More seriously, though, I do hope that they are able to work things out, although trust issues like that have a tendency of never going away, no matter how ok things seem. I hope they are able to work this out for their kids. It's hard enough to be a kid with a celebrity for a parent, it's even harder when those parents have to break up and you see it plastered on the news every day of your young life. I hope Tiger's words are sincere, but it's just hard to know now. Tiger has shown us that we really don't know what kind of a person he is, and just because he says the right things on camera, doesn't necessarily mean that he's doing the right things as a person.

A lot of things going on in football! The Broncos traded to get Brady Quinn. Not a huge bit of news in and of itself, considering it was for a rarely used FB and a 6th round draft pick for a guy who has played on one of the worst teams in the last few years, but Brady Quinn does still have the potential to be a great player for a long time. A year to get used to the Bronco's system and to work with a full time QB coach will only do good things for him.

A new overtime rule. Really? Is it really needed? Granted, it is only for the playoffs, but come on. How long have we gone with the previous version and been ok with it? How many actual NFL players have called for changes to this rule? It has always only been fans of teams that lost in the OT and "expert" columnists that claim that it was needed. The players have always been matter of fact about the whole thing. We didn't stop them, so we didn't deserve to win. Ok, that seems like a good enough reason to me. How much of this is because it was Brett Favre's team that lost in the NFC championship game? It wasn't needed, but it may provided the public with what they want. Something they've deemed "more fair" than before. I guess I can live with that.

Donovan McNabb got traded!? No really! This time he actually did! For how many years have the Eagle's fans been calling for him to be traded, only to love on him when he took the field the following year? Sure, they got to a bunch of NFC Championship games, and only won one of them. Lost the only Super Bowl they played in, more because they didn't begin to play quickly until far too late than anything else. And what's more, they traded him WITHIN THEIR DIVISION!!!! This guy was the best quarterback that the Eagles have ever had!! Why on earth would they trade him to a division rival? I know they wanted to do right by McNabb, or at least Andy Reid did, but come on! You still have to think the most about your team. Do you really think that Kevin Kolb is going to out duel McNabb when they take the field against each other? This is definitely a HUGE gain for the Skins and Mike Shanahan. A mobile quarterback who can throw anywhere on the run. Hmm, nah, Shanahan doesn't know how to work with a guy like that. cough cough, John Elway, cough cough. This could be the start of something really good in D.C.!

Duke won March Madness for the 4th time! Congrats to the Blue Devils and the Cameron Crazies! Duke was my favorite college basketball team for a long time when I was growing up. Then I stopped caring. But man, I wish that I had actually watched that Duke v. Butler game. Sounds like an incredible amount of drama for such a low scoring game. At any rate, I did NOT predict really anything in the NCAA Toury. After a promising start, my bracket took a pretty huge nose dive. Thank you Kansas, New Mexico, Georgetown.

NHL! After an up and down year, my Colorado Avalanche have clinched a playoff spot! It looks as if they will be playing the Sharks in the first round. The Sharks are quite a good team, with quite the history of blowing it, big time, in the playoffs. The Avs are a young team with a lot of energy and a goalie that has been out of his mind. Even though it is a 1 vs. 8 series, I wouldn't be at all shocked if it went a long way, or even if the Avs won the series. Matt Duchene should be the runaway winner of the Calder Trophy, NHL's rookie of the year award. I'm sure that Joe Sacco won't win the Jack Adams trophy, coach of the year, but turning a team from last in the conference to a playoff team, with the youth and inexperience of the team, deserves serious consideration. And I know that Craig Anderson will not win the Hart Trophy, but if you look at things, he has absolutely been the player that has been most valuable to his team, in my opinion. How many unbelievable saves has that guy made in tight times? He has faced more shots than any other goalie this year, and has a 2.56 GAA, a .916 sv. %, and 7 shutouts! That's insane!! It will obviously go to Ovechkin or Crosby, but really, what guy has made a bigger difference for his team than Craig Anderson?

I'm going to try and be much better about my blogging. I hope to make certain I do things once a week, but the school year is winding down, and I'm going to be moving here pretty soon. So I may not be able to hold onto that promise. Anywho, if you're still reading, thanks very much for your time! I hope that you stay around!

No comments:

Post a Comment