Monday, April 19, 2010

Stanley Cup Playoffs

I know that I constantly say how we're "in one of my favorite times of the year" for a lot of my posts, but in this case, this is the biggest and the best! My favorite time of the year is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. After watching these games, I really can't believe how anybody can't LOVE hockey! I mean, this isn't like the NBA, where you almost always guarantee that the 1 seed beats the 8 seed. Yes, it definitely happens more frequently than not, but the NHL playoffs provides far more competitive action.

Proof positive of this comes from tonight's games of San Jose vs. Colorado. San Jose dominated most of the play after a fairly even first period. But that X factor came out to play. Craig Anderson, who I know won't win the Hart Trophy as the MVP, but honestly, who on earth has been more important to his team than Craig Anderson?, stopped 51 shots! And Ryan O'Reilly gets a stick on a puck that ricocheted in past Evgeni Nabokov. Yes, the Avs were not the better team that night, but the nature of hockey allows for them to stay in, and win what ended up being an amazing game. How many times do you see that type of thing happen in the NBA? Never!

It's just the nature of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, anybody can win, and if you don't come to play every single game as if it is your last, then you won't win! The Olypmic tournament provided us with some absolutely amazing hockey, and I think that the Stanley Cup Playoffs will provide us with a lot more hockey like that. During the playoffs, it isn't about your contracts, it isn't about your endorsement deals, it's about winning the cup. For my money, I'll take a triple over time thriller over Kobe vs. Lebron any day of the week.

Time for the sporting world to go CUP CRAZY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment