Saturday, June 25, 2011

Golf Journal: South Suburban

This was kind of a fun round for me because this was the course that I played on when I was a kid.

I had a bit of a delay in posting about this one, I played the day before Father's Day, due to house-sitting and getting ready to move and doing a lot of writing for Bleacher Report, etc...

It was a perfect day for golfing, no wind or anything, and I felt good.

The day started off really well, I hit greens in regulation on the first three holes right in a row, but couldn't sink a putt to save my life.

There was a bit of a road block when we hit a par 3 at hole number four. Some guys about three groups ahead of us were taking way too long to play, and the group right in front of us was slow for the entire front nine, always waiting until the group in front of them was either on the green or walking off of the green in order to hit (even on the long par 5's.

Hole 4 was bad because we waited about 25 minutes before we could hit our tee shots, and hole 5 I spent trying to get my rhythm back.

By hole 6, I seemed to be more or less back in the swing of things, if you'll pardon the word play.

I ended up finishing the front nine with a 46, not too bad.

The back nine was far better for everybody. It seems the people who were really holding things up got off of the course, and my group didn't have to sit and wait for anything.

Hole 11 was kind of my crowning achievement of the day. It is a shorter par 5, about 490 from the white tees that is pretty tough because the whole left side is bordered by trees and a little ravine. About 250 in, there is a gulch where the ball is playable, but you would play it out of the rough.

I hit my drive just short of the gulch, and a bit on the right side, so I had a straight, clear look at the green and was only about 220 out, according to my little caddie app.

So pulled out my 3 wood and bombed it. The ball clipped the leaves of one of the trees, but if anything that helped me. The ball scooted onto the middle of the green and stopped about 15 feet from the cup, on in 2. Gave it a good putt, and it broke just a bit more before the hole, leaving me a little tap in for birdie. Totally legit!

Next hole stunk, but I kept a pretty consistent game the rest of the back nine, including another birdie on a pretty tough par 4 that has a beast of a green.

I finished up the back nine with 42, and carded an 88 for the day. I was quite happy, all-in-all.

Walked the whole time as well since my wife had just gotten me a nice push cart for my clubs that day. Now I can walk 18 but not have to carry the whole thing on my back, which stinks.

Can't wait to get out again, because I'm really feeling it this summer.

4 comments:

  1. Getting your practice in for October I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A log of golf always asking me what to write there. Well, it's your newspaper should be for you and your golf instructor, unless you decide to share with others. Here are some of the things that I can keep my Journal in golf.

    Las vegas golf

    ReplyDelete