Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A new season! NHL 2009-2010

It is just about my favorite time of the sporting year! One of them anyways. I always am a big fan of the start of football season, with the exception of the fact that that means I have to go back to school, but there is something extra nice about the start of hockey season to me.

To me, hockey is one of the last pure sports left. Baseball has been forever tarnished by the constant presence of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, football is just full of primadonnas who whine about money, about coaches, and comment on their twitter during football games. Basketball has a bunch of sissies who are out 4 weeks with a big toe injury, I'm looking at you Shaq. This is why I always like it when hockey comes around. These guys don't whine and moan about contracts. These guys don't let injuries stop them. They play battered and bruised and broken down all season long. I hate the Red Wings, but I remember a game where Brendan Shannahan had an inch chunk of his face cut out when he fell, head first, into someone else's skate. He went in the training room, had it stitched back in, and was back out on his next shift. Or how can you forget Paul Kariya, in the cup finals a few years back, who basically was knocked unconscious, flat, by Scott Stevens, and was out moments later to score a huge goal! You just wouldn't see that in other sports.

So, my fellow sport junkies, I ask you to toast the start of hockey season with me! Don your sleek Reebok jerseys with your favorite player's number, bang on the plexi-glass, yell at the guy in the penalty box, toss back a cold one, and welcome the people who give you your money's worth every night! Hockey season is back, now if Versus, or ESPN, would yank their heads out of their asses and get a freaking deal done so we can watch it. Let the PUCK DROP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment