Thursday, January 6, 2011

Elway is Back!

That's right, the Mile High Miracle Man is back for the Broncos! This particular come back effort isn't going to be a famed 2 minute drive, but it will pretty much seem like one of his famous 98-yard drives. This current incarnation of the Denver Broncos definitely seems like they are sitting 1st and 10 on their own 2 yard line.

Now, the question that most people are worrying about is whether or not Elway has the chops to do this sort of thing. He is the Chief Football Executive, in charge of day-to-day football operations. Not a role that you would think a Hall of Fame quarterback would be used to. Well, you may or may not know this, but John Elway has done this sort of thing, not in the NFL, but in the AFL. As owner of the Colorado Crush, he brought this team in in 2003, and managed to put a team together that won the Arena Bowl in 2005. So he knows how to manage personnel decisions from an executive's point of view.

As a former quarterback, he obviously knows about the qualities that make a winning team. It will be interesting to see the kind of personnel decisions that he will make, and his very first one is going to be the most important. Now, I grew up watching John Elway make miraculous plays, and I worshiped this guy. It is also one of my greatest childhood memories, going to a party around Christmas one of my father's clients hosted and seeing him. I remember walking up to him, I couldn't have been more than 6 years old, and his wife pointing me out to him. He took the time to shake my hand, ask my name, and to wish me a Merry Christmas. So, you'll pardon me if I'm always ready to believe in this guy, as is the whole city of Denver. They know a winner when they see one, and Elway is a winner.

At any rate, in comparison to Josh McDaniels, Elway is bound to be a veritable master mind. But that's not too hard to do. At any rate, we all sit back and await the result of Elway's great coach hunt. Welcome back to the Broncos John!

2 comments:

  1. Well, let's hope that he can find the right coach that can keep a quarterback as happy with Denver as he was...and STAYS!
    http://sportschatterings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he made a good hire with John Fox! I still think Orton will win the starting job in camp, but Tebow won't be going anywhere. Orton will play out his last year on this contract and Tebow will take the reigns. Of course, this is if the NFL even has a season next year.

    ReplyDelete