Thursday, January 21, 2010

CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY!!

This is always one of the best weekends of football, sometimes even better than the Super Bowl itself! I don't know why the Conference Championships end up that way, but it is quite often the case! Obviously not always, last year's Super Bowl was an amazing game! Anywho, here's my picks for championship Sunday!!


#6 Jets @ #1 Indianapolis:
The Jets are the feel good story of the playoff year. Rex Ryan has done a great job with this group this year, and Sanchez has been alright. That being said, I have looked all year, and the Colts have never once given me a reason to bet against them. I haven't all year, and I'm not going to again this weekend. Plus, the Colts have been in this situation before, and been upset by it. Back when Bettis and the #6 Steelers knocked them off before they went and beat Denver and Seattle to win Super Bowl 40. You better believe nobody on that Colts team will be looking beyond this weekend. Sanchez has played well, but how will he fair against the dynamic duo of Freeney and Mathis on the Colt's D-line? It gets talked about in every Colts game, but that's because it's so true. If you focus on one of them, then the other ends up beating you, and it's hard to hold them both out. The Jets D is good, but mostly Reevis, who has only really had to deal with 1 dynamic receiver in each of his last games. I guess if he's on Reggie Wayne, Manning will just have to throw to Clark, or Garcon, or any of 3 other receivers he just always finds. The Colts are too stacked, and will be too prepared, and will be too much for the Jets. I don't think this one will really be all that close, though the Jets running game will probably help them a lot.

#2 Vikings @ #1 Saints:
What a game this has the potential to be. I have to say that this is a bit of a toughie to pick, but I just have to go with the Saints. Mostly because I've been saying, for a while, that we're going to see the Colts and the Saints in the Super Bowl, but mostly because every single time the Saints have known that there was going to be a test for them, they have come out firing on all cylinders and not looked back. I mean think about it; Eagles, Giants, Patriots, and the Cardinals in the last round. Every team is very capable, and every single team the Saints didn't just beat, they destroyed. Now I heard a few of the Yahoo experts talk about how the Saints have had issues against teams down the line that ran the ball a lot, and that the Vikes could pose a problem because of that. Now that is relatively true enough, but allow me to tell you why it doesn't bother me. After they lost that first one to Dallas, it wasn't about destroying teams anymore or going undefeated, it was about preparing themselves for the playoffs and resting the starters. You think they played their best players against Tampa Bay? I don't, so I don't even bother looking at those games. Now, I totally agree that, in order to win the game, Minnesota is going to have to rely more on the run rather than the pass, but also think who their QB is, and we all know that Favre loves to pass. This could be where Favre's gunslinger attitude will bite the Vikes in the rear end, because the Saints secondary is the most opportunistic in the league. Vikings D is good, but Brees just has too many weapons. Both he and Manning can look at any and all sides of the field and find somebody to make a play for them. Again, there is too much in favor of the Saints, I just can't bet against them. I'll take the Saints.

That means Super Bowl 44 will be the 2 best teams in the league duking it out in what will undoubtedly be on of the most epic Super Bowls in recent memory. Colts vs. Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment