Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fantasy Sports

Hey all, thought that I would take a minute to blog about one of America's favorite past times; fantasy sports. Now I, like many of you, love to play fantasy sports. I love being in a league with my buddies and talking trash with them as we play out our meaningless games. But there are things that can come along that can really just take the fun out of the game sometimes. You ever been part of a league where there is somebody, or a few people, who just take the whole thing way too seriously? Well, that recently happened to me.

I play in a fantasy hockey league with a few buddies of mine from college. Apparently there aren't as many of them being a part of this league this year, but that's neither here nor there. Apparently, this league had a max games rule installed. I had no idea that it was there until it was recently taken out by the league commissioner. My did this cause an uproar. There were a few folks who asked why it was taken out, didn't make a deal about it, but this one guy went on a rail about it. It wasn't bad at first, saying that they didn't think that it was fair, but then suddenly came out with this great one. This is a direct quote, by the way. "No one else cares that all integrity of this league has been taken away?" Okay, maybe I'm looking at this a little bit differently since I don't really care about the whole thing, but I'm sorry, the integrity of the league? Ladies and gentlemen, it is called FANTASY sports for a reason. I know that a lot of people like to pretend that they are a big important GM and they are running their own team when they are part of a fantasy league, but the bottom line is that fantasy sports are just for fun. That's it, fun. There is an inherent competition involved in the leagues, but usually among friends. Buddies that can swear at each other for their buddy's team beating them one moment, and then completely forget about it the next moment. It's something to be discussed over pizza and beer.

I don't know, I guess the bottom line is that people that do that sort of thing, get all involved in something that clearly is not that important and really should just be for fun, end up taking the fun out of it. I beg you, ladies and gentlemen, when you get involved in any kind of fantasy league, please recognize it for what it is. Still have fun with it, get involved, be competitive, get angry when your guys let you down and get excited when your guys pull through, but remember that it's just fantasy. There is no greater meaning of it, nothing meaningful is on the line because of it. At most, people are competing for a pool of money to be won at the end. Have fun with it, and allow the other people in your league to have fun with it as well. Don't be that guy!!!

Anywho, must run! Have a good one, and check out my weekly picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment