Thursday, November 5, 2009

World Series

Yes, I realize that I'm a little bit late to comment on the whole World Series thing, but I figure that, since it has ended, I might as well make mention of it, otherwise I'm not exactly doing a good job writing about sports things. So here we go.

Yes, once again, the Yankees have won it all. I have to say, I really do try to at least care a little bit about the World Series, but I find it harder and harder every year. Now usually, if the Yankees are involved, I find it quite easy to care about the Series because I hate the Yankees so much. I can't stand teams that are stylish to like, a topic I'm sure that I will cover more extensively in a future post, but most especially when it's the Yankees. But still, I just find it so hard to care about the World Series. I find it boring.

Now, how can the World Series be boring? Well, here's my take on how it can be boring. Firstly, baseball has been forever tainted to me. Now, admittedly, I haven't really cared that much about baseball since I was in high school, but all of the steroids stuff just makes it seem to me that it is a game full of cheaters, and that any accomplishments don't really mean that much. I say this because, even though I know that not all of the players are guilty, it just seems highly probable that, with the number of people who are using, every single team in the league has people that are contributing to the team with use of performance enhancing drugs. So to me, all accomplishments are tainted. So a championship doesn't mean anything when any one of the members of the team cheated to get it.

Second, baseball is a sport that doesn't have any type of salary cap, which means larger market teams do have a distinct advantage. That is more true of the Yankees than any team in the history of professional sports. Every year you see them go after 3-5 seriously big name free agents and give them each more than 100 Million dollars worth of contracts. Frankly, I find it shameful of Major League Baseball to allow this to happen every year. It has gotten out of control! Don't get me wrong, I find it disgusting that anybody gets paid that much money for 6 months of playing a game, and then getting an offseason while teachers and other people who make serious contributions to our society are left scrambling to make a decent living. At any rate, the enormous payroll of the Yankees is bound to give them an unfair advantage.

The third, and final, reason that I will give today rests with the fans. I do blame fans for a lot of problems in baseball today. So many people have said that juicing has been encouraged by organizations not only for the sake of gaining an advantage, but because fans want big numbers. And yes, I'll admit that I enjoy it most when my team is scoring at will, but I don't want them to do it at the cost of the game's integrity. Yet people like Barry Bonds have been thrown lavish celebrations for records that were caused as a direct result of his juicing. True, he is also reviled by the large majority of baseball fans, but tell me that you'd boo him if he'd have been on your team during that time, and I'll tell you that you're lying through your teeth. The league has seen it fit to enable these players to get away with these things because they knew that it would bring in the numbers. You know the right way to stop this from happening? Stop buying their merchandise, stop cheering them, and start calling them out for exactly what they are, cheaters. And call out the organization for not taking stronger steps to prevent it. And call out the league for not having a more stringent test and punishment. But no, the second our big guy comes back and hits a couple of jacks, suddenly all is right with the world.

At any rate, congrats to the Yankees for another world championship, **yawn** I'm sure the players will all be back next year, ever so slightly bigger but who can possibly tell why, to have another run at the trophy for the juiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment