Monday, July 12, 2010

Golf Journal: Littleton Golf & Tennis Club


I went out golfing today with my buddy Scott at the Littleton Golf & Tennis Club. It was a very fun day, and quite interesting for me, as I have never played this course before. When I got there, I was kind of surprised to find that this was not your regular old par 72 championship golf course. This was a par 63, executive golf course. Still a full 18 holes though, which was nice.

Now, this was a much better round from my last time out. Best of all, I had my own clubs. Now, I wasn't terribly certain how much of a difference my own clubs would actually make while I was playing, but I felt so much more comfortable today than I did in Alaska that it was crazy, and it showed right away. First hole, which was a mere 283 yard par 4, I nailed my 3 wood straight down the middle of the fairway, and hit my pitching wedge into the green. It landed about 5 - 8 feet from the hole, and had the greens been softer, wouldn't have rolled off. Quick two putt to par the first hole. I was a bit surprised.

The other thing that made me so much happier about playing with my own clubs was hitting MY driver. I don't know what it is about these Taylor Made Burner Drivers, but I hit that thing so straight that I can hardly believe that it is me hitting it. It is so nice to have that kind of confidence off of the tee. Granted, I don't hit things very far, still, but it is nice to feel like I can put it in the fairway every single time.

High point of the day came on the only par 5 on the front 9, yes there was another one on the back. I was laying 2 in a pretty good position, and just didn't quite get all of my 3rd shot and landed about 15 yard from the green. So I pulled out my pitching wedge, chipped it up, thought that I had hit it way too hard until I saw where it was going. My mood changed quite a bit as it fell down for a birdie 4. That was my only birdie of the day, but what a way to get it. I had a few more pars, and shot a 39 on the front. Don't get too excited, remember that this is a par 63 course. Par on the front was 31, but still respectable. I was a bit more inconsistent, especially with my putting, on the back 9, but still finished with a 41 on the back (which was a par 32). Grand total of 80. Again, this would be way more exciting if I was on a par 72 championship course, but 80 is +17 on the par 63 course. So that roughly translates an 89, very roughly, if you were to go 17 over on a par 72 championship course. Either way, I still felt very good about the day.

The only bad thing was my putting today. I had some good holes, but the greens were very tricky and totally owned me. Some of the greens were faster than others, and then there were quite a few that I just plain misread. There were quite a few 3 putts that I could have easily eliminated simply by making a stinking 2 foot putt, but I guess that's why people practice.

This is probably going to be one of my last rounds for a while as my wife and I will be moving down to the Springs pretty soon here and money is definitely tight. Hopefully there will be some folks in the Springs that can help me find a reasonably affordable place to golf. All in all, great day, and hopefully I will be able to get out again soon. Any tips or advice on places to play, in Colorado, or anywhere, would be great! I do love to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment