Saturday, July 10, 2010

The World Cup Finale!!

Well, now that I'm writing pretty consistently again, I figure I should go ahead and actually say something about this one. So, allow me to begin!

First, to all Americans who hear people around the world to refer to the game as football, and then try to correct them, please stop. We are the only country in the world, except for possibly Canada, that refers to this as soccer. Just live with it and accept it as one of life's funny little quirks, or just another self-serving reason that you give yourself as to why America is "better" than everybody else. Settled? Awesome!

Next, I have to say that I never really liked soccer all that much until I went on a trip in high school. It was 1998, and I was part of People to People Student Ambassadors. For any of you who don't know about that program, you can check out that link, but it is essentially a way to get youth in the states to get a chance to visit other countries and experience a culture other than their own. Well, part of my experience was a home stay in the Netherlands. This, I hardly need to remind you, was right in the middle of the World Cup that year! As part of my experience, my host sister brought me to one of the local pubs to watch the round of 16 game between the Netherlands and Yugoslavia. Again, I had never watched soccer before in my life, but the intensity of everybody was insane! I loved the game, and have, ever since, been at least a casual fan of soccer, a fan of Dutch soccer, and have stopped bashing it as a boring game. It is not boring in the least. So that's my back story.

Now, this year we have heard a lot of things about the World Cup, mostly revolving around the horrible officiating, and the ridiculous gamesmanship (I mean come on, what a panzy play to just flop like that. Let's introduce that guy to Bob Probert, give him a reason to flop like that) but we have also been treated to some great games. Both Semi-final matches were incredible! The Dutch score fest and Uruguay rally, followed by an amazing nail biter between Spain and Germany. That is what the World Cup should be remembered for, not insanely botched calls that have a long lasting effect on the game. Luckily, the great play has been towards the finale, which will leave a longer lasting memory in our minds, in my opinion.

As for the final itself, I have to stick with my heart. I have loved the Dutch ever since I visited the Netherlands, so I am going to say that the Orange Crush will win the day, and capture their first World Cup Championship ever.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!
Had to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment