Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rain outs

I would start this off by saying that I was watching the MLB post-season, but that would just be a lie, as I don't watch baseball. But while I was at work the other day, checking up on my usual sporting information, I noticed that game 3 of the Rockies and Phillies series got rained out, which got me thinking a little bit. Is baseball really the only game where they allow regular and post-season games to be postponed on account of weather?

Now, I know this is a rather strange topic, but it was just something that got me to pondering. I do remember that the Avalanche had a game postponed a couple years back. But I also remember that they had just gotten a record snowstorm and that the airport was closed, or at least completely messed up, for weeks so their opponents couldn't get into town. That, I understand. The only football game that I remember being canceled was a pre-season game, so that doesn't fall into my heading. It was the Hall of Fame game, Sports Center showed highlights of lightening striking right next to the stadium multiple times in very spectacular flashes. So again, that I understand.

So why is it that this is such a frequent thing in baseball? I mean, the can't argue that they would be more affected than any of the other sports. The wind blows a football around just as crazily as a baseball. And the field gets just as wet and hard to run around on. Yet, just last year, we saw two games that were severely affected by weather. Steelers played the Dolphins with the remains of whatever big hurricane hit last year on a completely decimated and mushy field. The Pats played the Bills in Buffalo with 50 mph winds blowing across the football field. Yet all 4 quarters were played, and a winner was determined. Hell, I played little league baseball in Colorado in the middle of snow and rain, but the pros seem to rain out constantly.

You'd think that with all the guys on steroids in baseball right now, they probably wouldn't actually be able to feel the weather, or would be able to power through it. (there it is, there's the rip for the steroids. I know you were waiting for it.) Yes, their season is 162 games long, but seriously, why prolong it any more than people already have to? I mean, we have football games that we want to watch for crying out loud.

One good thing that does come from the rain delays at baseball games, though, the fat guy that runs across the tarp and slides face first through all of the water. Now THAT is entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment